Feline Hospice & Palliative Care Guidelines
The International Association of Animal Hospice and Palliative Care (IAAHPC) in collaboration with the American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) is thrilled to unveil the 2023 IAAHPC/AAFP Feline Hospice and Palliative Care Guidelines.
Our freshly released Guidelines delve into the expanding domain of feline hospice and palliative care, underscoring the crucial importance of effective communication, sound ethics, and personalized treatment plans. We place a spotlight on the essence of comfort and emotional health, while also presenting the innovative ‘unit of care’ philosophy, influenced by the practices of human hospice. This methodology champions a comprehensive view, taking into account both the cat and the caregiver and their distinct needs.
Highlights of the Guidelines:
- A versatile five-step care strategy, adaptable to both feline and caregiver.
- Introduction to the transformative ‘unit of care’ principle.
- Ethical outlines and considerations.
- Recommendations on ensuring comfort, conducting emotional health evaluations, and implementing environmental enhancements.
- Further enriched by ancillary resources like an instructive brochure, an informative video, and a probing questionnaire.
The IAAHPC is dedicated to supporting all veterinary professionals in their endeavor to provide the best possible care to their feline patients!